Thursday 21 June 2007

Picotee

Why picotee?

Well, I have an affection for words. Short words, long words, pretty words, real words, made up words. I like words. I read a lot.

Looking on my favourite dictionary site http://www.onelook.com/ for a synonym in a gardening context, I stumbled a gardening word list in the "P" region. On the page was was the word "PICOTEE -- Term applied to a narrow band of color on a pale ground at the edge of a petal."




It rang a little bell. On the wall of our snug (which is a small room lined with books off the main living room, (the deerhound sleeps there)) there is a copy of a hand coloured print of my father's mother, Mary, on horseback. She was a keen point-to-point rider in her youth.

The horse's name was Picotee. Apparently he was her favourite horse. I wish she was alive now so I could ask her about him.

It is a pretty word, and great name for a horse. Or a blog.

1 comment:

Nazila Merati said...

Yeah! You are blogging!