Monday 12 November 2007

Marrows, Compost & Wee.

Last weekend I took my first look round the garden to check what had happened while I was away. Despite a couple of frosts and some missing leaves, everything looks ok, though the autumn "weed&feed" on the grass has REALLY done its job and I needed to mow (it's the one garden chore I hate, mowing).

Anyway, while sorting out the recycle bins I noticed that Brian had chucked a pefectly good marrow on there so retrieved it, rinsed it and left it on the side in the kitchen (Brian is clueless about gardening & veg).

I mentioned to himself that marrows can keep for quite a while and a look of horror came over his face.

"Put... it... back.... on the compost. NOW."

I puzzled over this for a second.. "Why?".

It turns out that he had been listening when we were discussing the merits of wee on helping compost break down.

ah.

Unsure of the imperviousness of marrow skin, I put the marrow back on the compost heap.

3 comments:

Lesley Rigby said...

It might have been delicious!! What the eye don't see............

Nazila Merati said...

That is the funniest thing I have read all day.

Katherine and Pippa said...

Men who know nothing about gardening should at least stay out of the way.

When they try and pick up on the odd bit and try and help.......:rolleyes:

Adrian is allowed cutting duties only - and then only grass, shrubs and trees - selected ones.

Kate