Wednesday 10 October 2007

October in the garden

Not much of a summer, some might say a washout, and I had HOPED for an Indian Summer, but in vain.

Oh well, at least everything is green and lush.

But the veggie patches are still giving us edibles:

The "east patch", not much really happening in here, autumn onion sets are in and the leeks and turnips are producing, the squashes and courgettes have I think, produced their last.


The "west patch", on this side we have lolo rosso, chinese leave, chinese chard, chop suey greens (which look suspiciously like chrysanthemums to me!) and loads of cabbages just out of shot. I'm not convinced the brussels will do anything in time for christmas, but maybe they will surprise me (surprised by sprouts? Hmmmm.)


And flower wise the nasturtiums are waiting for the first frost to finish them off:


The verbena is still going strong:


And the pears are this year, "simply to die for" (well, maybe not literally)

5 comments:

Katherine and Pippa said...

I don't think I have ever grown anything in your east patch successfully.

But I'm brilliant on brassicas and salads. Have you grown mizuna? I used to grow loads of the oriental salads in the UK, and brought some old seeds to Spain but they are all gone now. :( Not much point starting again with being between Gib and Spain.

Your garden looks lovely. I missed it very much to start with, but there are other advantages here.

Em said...

OK, now you've made me all jealous again. I'd love a garden that didn't have 3 ft of solid clay...

Kerrio said...

Em... we ARE on clay. I'm not helping am I?

Lesley Rigby said...

The photographs are brilliant!

You must have some wonderful meals with veggie patches like that. We will have to move for a larger garden and then we can indulge ourselves with a "potager"! I envy you........

The BEST gardens are on clay as long as the soil is well prepared which yours obviously is.

Em said...

Kerrio - no. But then, deep down I know there's nothing wrong with our garden that heaps of manure and sand and a rotivator couldn't put right... and some hard work!!