Sunday 19 August 2007

So how did you break the Canon D20 Kerri?

Ah well, it is a tale of woe, sleepless nights, floods and rampaging pirates (that last may have been a minor exaggeration).

We had people round for tea yesterday. Tea, scones and cakes. It was nice. Anyway, one of the visitors had been unwell and was feeling the cold. So Brian kindly turned on the central heating.

After our visitors departed, we sat down with a glass of wine to watch a film. There was one scene in the film I wanted to make a point about, so we paused the film to rewind. At this point we noticed a strange noise coming from the boiler.

We checked the radiators and noticed they were not warm, checked the boiler pressure, came up with a theory that there was air in the system, bled the valves and went back to watching the film.

When the film finished we could still hear the funny noise. So we cooked up another theory about the air in the boiler system overheating the water circuit. So we ran the hot water until it went cold, hoping this would sort the problem.

It was about 12:30 at this point, Brian went off to bed while I waited for the hot water to run cold. It made no difference, so I found a torch and went round to the front of the house to look at the boiler.

I found the problem. The mains water feed into the house had sprung a major leak and was flooding out the bed in front of the house.

Shite.

Got Brian up to have a look. We decided there was nothing we could do until morning and it looked like the water was draining away sufficiently not to cause a problem.

However, the noise of the water escaping was rattling though all the pipes in the house (due to proximity of main feed coming into the house with the central heating pipes).

So I could not sleep.

So I went to the spare bedroom and settled down there where it was quieter.

However, the spare bed is firmer than ours and aggravated my dodgy hip, so I hauled myself out of bed to go downstairs and fetch a hot water bottle to soothe it.

It was at this point, in the dark, that I tripped over the camera tripod.

My trusty Canon is in need of major TLC.

If I were not an athiest I would be send up a prayer of thanks for an understanding hubby who knows just how clumsy his wife is and bought the extended accidental damage cover for the camera. As it is I'll just cook him breakfast.

The week ahead of sorting out insurance and plumbers fills me with dread.

My sense of humour has failed.

5 comments:

Nazila Merati said...

Oh my god. Other than the camera disaster, I couldn't sleep, slept of the futon in my study, killed my dodgy right hip and had ernest try to kiss me repeatedly.

We also have a 3 year on top of extended warranty for the d50 and my new canon elph.

How is your toe/foot now?

Did you wake up all the dogs with your cursing?

Anonymous said...

Crikey!

Hope you manage to get both the plumbing and the camera fixed with minimum fuss.

Or claim the camera on the household insurance - the 40d is due early Sept ;-)

No doubt Brian will be proud of me and this damn fine suggestion!!

We are loving the blog... We'll swap you a jar of Graeme's Plum Jam for one a Plum Chutney! Looks yum.

Ali.x

General Jackson said...

Other peoples misadventures are always worse than one's own.

However your Falkland relations have had even worse recently as you know!!

Burst pipe in a flower bed? Nothing!! How about a house flodded with hot water, ceiling down, soaked carpets, and everything else!! Camera can be fixed, and not a bruise like your fathers in sight let alone an ICD!!

Keep smiling

TDF said...

@ Ali :

Well, you got me looking ;-), I have taken a shine to the EOS 1D Mark iii. This is a 10MP 10fps monster of a machine...

But - the new EOS 1DS Mark iii is also available soon. This is 21 megaPixels, and can go at 5 fps - same as my 'old' motordrives on my A1, T90 and F1n cameras. The 21 MP is 'full frame' so you don't get that lens magnification factor.

Wonder if QB might nick my goldfish card and go for an £8,000 body ?

Hmmmmmmm.

Katherine and Pippa said...

Is leaving my cheapo P&S (perhaps I should have spelled those out) on the desk next to the computer and the G&T a high risk area??

Hope the SoH has returned.